GPS stands for Global Positioning System. It is a term related to Technology and Tech Terms, Useful Terms and Definitions which we use in daily life but we do not know their full name, Here’s a list of important abbreviations that you should know.
|GPS||Global Positioning System|
|Category||Technology » Tech Terms|
What is full form of GPS?
The full form of GPS is the Global Positioning System. it is a satellite navigation system used to identify the ground position of an object. The US military first adopted GPS technology in the 1960s and expanded it to civilian applications over the next several decades.
Today, many commercial products include GPS receivers such as smartphones, cars, GIS devices, and fitness watches. GPS is widely used for tracking and driving vehicles, providing the best route from one place to another for shipping companies, airlines, drivers and courier companies.
Various Parts of GPS-:
Parts can be broken down into three separate segments such as-
- Space segment – It is called satellites. About 24 satellites are distributed in the six orbital planes.
2. Control segment – refers to stations installed on Earth for the purpose of managing and tracking satellites.
3. User Segment – Refers to users who process navigation signals received from GPS satellites to measure position and time.
Working Principle of GPS-:
The GPS network consists of 24 satellites located approximately 19,300 kilometers above the earth’s surface. They orbit the Earth at incredibly high speeds of around 11,200 km / h (once every 12 hours). The satellites are evenly spaced so that the four satellites can be seen with a clear line of sight from anywhere in the world.
- Each satellite is equipped with a computer, radio and atomic clock. Knowing about its orbit and clock, it constantly communicates its changing place and time.
- GPS uses a triangulation method to identify the user’s location. Triangulation is the mechanism by which the GPS first establishes a working and receiving information link with 3 to 4 satellites. The satellite then transmits one piece of information about the message, including the location of the recipient.
- If the receiver already has a computer screen with a map, the position can be displayed on the monitor.
- If a fourth satellite is available, the receiver can measure both altitude and geographic location.
- The receiver will also calculate the speed and direction of your trip if you are traveling, and give you estimated arrival times for the specified locations.
Applications of GPS-:
GPS is used in technology to deliver data never before available, with the amount and degree of precision GPS enables. Scientists are using GPS to measure changes in the displacement of Arctic ice, Earth’s tectonic plates and volcanic activity.
- GPS gives you your exact location.
- Track the movement of a person or object.
- It helps in creating world maps.
- It gives the universe a precise timing.
- When traveling from one place to another.
Here you learn the full name and complete information of Global Positioning System, if you have questions and answers related to GPS, then tell us your thoughts in the , know the complete meaning of GPS in this article.
What is the full form of GPS? The full form of GPS is the Global Positioning System and it is a satellite navigation system used to identify the ground position of an object.
What does GPS mean? The Global Positioning System (GPS) is a satellite-based navigation system owned and operated by the US government. The service is available worldwide and is free of charge to anyone with a GPS receiver.
The full form of GPS is the Global Positioning System and it is a satellite navigation system used to identify the ground position of an object. The US military first adopted GPS technology in the 1960s and expanded it to civilian applications over the next several decades.